Sunday, May 6, 2012

Chair Project 1: final chair







Description of Exercise 1, sit-able chair from one piece of cardboard

For this assignment we were to design a chair that would fit a set of specific guidelines. First, it had to be made from a 4ft x 4ft square piece of cardboard. It could not be cut into in pieces or held by glue or tape. Then the final chair has to be able to hold my weight at least 6 inches above the ground. For me this was my first exposer to furniture design even without these restrictions. The most challenging aspect of the project was the actual construction. After I found the solution I thought best fit and made it into a model. I had a difficult time translating the paper model into the cardboard chair though. The first chair I tried did not hold up under any amount of weight. I then went back to my paper models and searched for the next solution. The next model proved successful. To deal with the weaknesses in the board I did not score the folds. This gave the cardboard some give and made it more aesthetically pleasing. I was very pleased with the outcome of my design. It may not have been what I had planned but I felt it was even better. I mostly enjoyed this assignment not because of the chair itself but for the problem solving process it required to find the solution.       

No comments:

Post a Comment