Sunday, May 6, 2012

Errol Morris on Photography Video Response


In this clip Morris clams that there is no candid photo. His option is that the shear act of framing a shot makes it something that was staged. He claimed that any photograph is posed just by choosing what to focus on.  He says that photographs are neither true nor false. I see what he was trying to get at; however, I don’t agree with that position. Coming from a photojournalistic back ground it was pounded into my head to keep the photo candid. This is something I do believe to be possible. I think that he was simply overthinking things. If someone tells you a true statement is it any less true because they chose to emphasize particular facts or they have their own option of the truth? Not in my option. So why would it be any different when it comes to photography.  

No comments:

Post a Comment