Sunday, May 6, 2012

Chair Project 2: relationship essay

Essay on Duality –
The relationship I have with my sister, Natalie, is unique in its strength and durability. She has known me for my entire life and I have known her for all but three of hers. Yet, it is not this length that gives it strength. We genuinely enjoy each other. Natalie and I spend a great deal of time together because of this. We have many things in common such as our taste in music, love of anything artistic, food preferences and ways of viewing the world. Where we differ is in our looks and specifics. We always used to joke that I was the classy version of her. I am a design major and she a visual art major. Both are artistic and focus on aesthetically pleasing creation; however, the results and purposes are very different.  Natalie is a petite athletic looking brunette with almond shaped eyes of teal. She has big curly hair to go along with her big personality. I, on the other hand, am a curvy blond with bow shaped lips and blue jean eyes that take up most of my face. In contrast to my porcelain complexion is her olive sink tone that holds the warm of the summer’s sun rays year round.
 In our opposites comes part of our strength. I am a very tenderhearted and without her hard edge and tough love approach I would not be where I am today. She has always been there to push me to my full potential. She has made it one of her goals for me not to be coddled. I was very sick as a child and everyone would tip toe around me and give in to everything I wanted because they didn’t know if I had much time. She on the other hand treated me as any older sister would. For example, one time after I had come out of surgery she decided that she did not want me to have to stay in this juvenile hospital bed that resembled a cage. So she climbed up and snatched me from my prison and placed me in a red toy wagon. After I was settled with all of my balloons and stuffed animals we then gallivanted all through the hospital. We even ventured to the elevators and explored the different floors. My unknowing parents were horrified when they came back to the room and we were gone. It may have gotten her in trouble at the time but it gave me at least one good memory form an otherwise bleak experience. She has always been there from me. Saving me from many a dark place and guiding me to where I am meant to be. We have our rough edges but in the end there is friendship and connection that will always be the strength that holds us together.  

No comments:

Post a Comment